Each Millikin student is assigned to a faculty advisor for assistance in developing a Plan of Study, and for continued advice and counsel throughout the student's years at Millikin. The student and advisor will work collaboratively to develop the student's Plan of Study, which will be reviewed and revised throughout the student's undergraduate years. This advising is an integral and continuous part of the educational process.
在一般情况下, the appropriate Dean (on the basis of the student's major field of interest) assigns advisors. New students participate in special advising sessions at an orientation and registration program prior to enrollment. Students confer with their advisors prior to registration and changes in registration can be made with the advisor's consent. Grades are available on-line to the student via a personal secure account on MU Online. Each faculty member maintains regular hours for student conferences, but the student may also request appointments in addition to those arranged by the advisor.
Additional assistance is provided for any student who receives a deficiency notification during a semester or who falls below a 2.0 grade point average at the end of each term. This is a supplementary program, which may be both individual and group oriented. Assistance may be given through the student's advisor and the Center for 学术 and 专业的表现 as well as by individual faculty members.
The advisor-student relationship is important. 相互信任, 尊重, and understanding between the advisor and student are necessary to achieve the best results.
Students are ultimately responsible for knowing University, College/School and Departmental 毕业 requirements for their degree(s). The advisor should help the student interpret Departmental, College and University requirements as described in the Bulletin. It is the responsibility of the student to seek out the advisor in a timely fashion, provide information on personal and academic issues relevant to the student-advisor interaction and to be familiar with appropriate sections of the University Bulletin Policies and Procedures for 教师. Advisors have access to degree evaluations for students assigned to them via MU online.
Millikin University Definition of 学术顾问
学术建议是一种积极主动的行为, on-going relationship that pairs guided discovery with intentional strategic planning to result in enhanced persistence, connection to appropriate campus and community resources, 以及发展职业目标.
What are the responsibilities of the 学术 Advisor?
- Be familiar with each advisee and his/her academic histories and be available to partner with the advisee to develop and revise the plan of study, 把职业目标, 技能发展, and personal and professional development as part of the student’s University experience.
- Be familiar with the curricular requirements and progression 政策 of the student’s chosen field(s) of study.
- Be familiar with the various campus support services and resources (such as Student Development, Center for 学术 and 专业的表现, 写作中心, 数学中心, 辅导服务, 健康诊所, 咨询服务, 等).
- Be aware of confidentiality issues and FERPA requirements.
- Develop partnerships with Secondary (Student Development) Advisors (if applicable) and report issues through available technologies.
- Participate in ongoing training and development on advising.
What are the responsibilities of the Student Advisee?
- Maintain an ongoing rapport with the assigned advisor, to include regular communication.
- Know the university, college, and major requirements of the chosen field(s) of study.
- 积极主动地为会议提供建议. 现在的具体问题, prepare for class scheduling sessions by creating a tentative schedule, 监控自己的进步, 记住需求, 学习计划和职业目标.
- Participate in regular self-reflection regarding personal and academic growth, and take advantage of university resources beyond the faculty advisor (including Secondary Student Development Advisors, Center for 学术 and 专业的表现, 写作中心, 数学中心, 辅导服务, 健康诊所, 咨询服务, 等).
The Council on Students and 学术 Standards, in partnership with the Committee on Scholarship and 教师 Development, provides oversight of academic advising to include training and development, 政策, 和程序.
Incoming freshmen will have the opportunity to meet their academic advisor during New Student Welcome Week. All students can find their advisor on their Student Profile in MU Online. Students may also find their advisor by contacting their academic dean's office:
- 艺术学院 & 科学/Exploratory: 先令大厅 Room 209
- 美术学院: 先令大厅 Room 212
- College 专业的研究: 先令大厅 Room 206
- 泰伯商学院: Scovill Hall Room 105